Say “Cheese” cake too
I’m trying to be dairy-free for the time being and one of the hardest things about it is having to avoid cheesecake. So you can imagine how my little heart fluttered when one of my favorite bloggers, Chi Chi, posted a recipe for a vegan cheesecake on her blog. I made some modifications to the original recipe.
- I used one pound of firm tofu instead of two pounds of silken tofu. ( I made the tofu smooth in the blender first- don’t press all of the liquid out of the tofu first)
- I substituted six tablespoons of vegan margarine for the 1/2 cup of oil
- I used regular pineapple juice instead of the concentrate
- I substituted nutmeg for the coriander
- I used a pre-made graham cracker crust
- I made a raspberry topping using Chi Chi’s fruit topping recipe
Here is the result:
My thoughts? It’s pretty delicious and my mostly vegetarian mother agrees. I don’t know what C thinks yet because he’s out of town. The only issue I have is that the consistency is more custard-like (made my slices turn out less than perfect) but that’s apparently an issue with most vegan cheesecakes. Also, I bought a 9-inch crust and it was too small to hold all of the batter so I have some left over in the fridge. Maybe I’ll try to make cupcakes.