I’ve noticed lately that when it comes to the topic of breastfeeding there are a lot of horror stories. While I fully support and encourage women to share their stories, the unfortunate effect is that the more negative stories can serve to turn off other women from breastfeeding even before they’re pregnant.
(My general advice to those women would be the old adage, “Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.” Seriously. Your experience is your experience is your experience. Period.)
So, in the interest of preserving the balance, here is a list of things I love about breastfeeding or alternately “Why I love being boobylicious”
1. It’s free – (Mostly, unless you’ve had to buy equipment) In this economy every little bit helps.
2. It’s quick – No need to wait for anything to be mixed, warmed or cooled
3. It’s convenient – I can do it anywhere without extra accoutrements
4. It’s my way of getting more sleep at night – This is partly because we co-sleep but really, I don’t usually have to wake up fully to feed Baby E during the night and neither does he
5. It’s a weight loss technique for a gym-phobe like me – Nursing burns a lot of calories
6, It’s a boo-boo buster – Seriously, breastmilk is touted as a cure-all for lots of mom and baby ailments, from pink-eye to sore nipples
7. It’s comforting – It’s the fastest way for me to calm Baby E when he’s feeling out of sorts
8. It’s the cause of cute baby faces – From intense concentration to pure milk-drunkenness
9. It’s a natural high – Who needs crack when that milk letdown gives you such an oxytocin rush
10. It’s our special thing