Oh, oh, oh, oh stayin’ at home
I have inadvertently become a stay at home mom. This was unexpected, to say the least. Funnily enough, it is something I kind of wished for but didn’t think we had the financial resources to pull off. We still don’t. You see, five days ago I lost my job. It was the biggest injustice I’ve personally ever experienced. Plus, it couldn’t have come at a worse time – we just moved to bigger and pricier place.
Womp, womp, womp.
So now I get to stay home with Baby E. I don’t know how long we’ll have this arrangement because I’m also seeking new employment. This job loss does force me to explore the work at home angle that I’ve been interested in. I may need to carve my own freelance niche but it might be worth it.
However, in the spirit of trying to look on the bright side, here are the top ten benefits of me losing my job.
1. I don’t have to wake up before dawn unless I really want to. Believe me, I really don’t want to.
2. I don’t have to fight 40 minutes worth of freeway traffic twice a day.
3. No pumping!
4. I get to save money on gas and daycare costs.
5. I can raise my blood pressure by watching The View. This is my masochistic side.
6. I can take an afternoon nap without reprisal.
7. I don’t have to wait till the weekend or use vacation days just to run errands or make appointments.
8. I can adjust my own thermostat to whatever temperature makes me feel comfortable.
9. I get to spend more time writing down my navelgazing musings for all the world (maybe six of you) to see.
10. I get to spend time with the cutest baby I’ve ever made.
Perhaps this experience is the universe’s way of making me explore my options. Or maybe the universe kind of hates me, seeing as this is my second job loss within a year.
Either way, I will, as Gloria Gaynor put it so disco-ishly, survive!
And now, we dance!
Posted on March 1, 2010, in Mother instinct, Natural parenting, New mommyhood, Pumping, Random bits from my life, Stay At Home Mom, Working mom and tagged job loss, SAHM, WOHM. Bookmark the permalink. 5 Comments.